In the realm of Emotional Intelligence, we call it self-regard. It is the ability to respect and accept yourself - essentially liking the way you are. To have healthy self-regard is to be able to appreciate your strengths along with your weaknesses. It's seeing the positive aspects and possibilities along side of your negative aspects and limitations while still feeling good about yourself...warts and all.
There are a number of containment strategies that will help to get you back on the right path:
- Take stock of your strengths and pinpoint your areas of relative strength that you are able to leverage most
- Recognize independent achievements
- Recognize successful efforts
- Celebrate achievements and rewards
- Set reasonable goals for yourself (start with 1 short, 1 mid and 1 long range goal)
- Write those goals down and keep them front and center
- Share the goals you just set with someone that's important to you (close friend, partner/spouse or a coach)
- Conduct regular reviews of your progress with the person that you shared your goals with
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the impact of self-regard when it comes to entrepreneurship or leadership in the comments section below.